Tableau can be used for data visualization by importing data from Beckon into Tableau. Beckon supports a "web connector" for Tableau which enables this. The web connector is supported for both Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server.
To use the Tableau web connector for Beckon, take the following steps:
- Decide what data you want to export from Beckon into Tableau.
- Create a corresponding Export query within Beckon. Please note only "Aggregate" export queries are supported at the moment and when creating the export query, always use at least one
timedimension in the
group-bysection of the query.
For example, if you want to export "Sales" data for the last 6 months with weekly granularity, the export query should be created by selecting
Salesas the metric, the time range should be selected to include last 6 months of data and the group-by should be set to
Time -> Weekwith frequency set to
- Execute the query, saving it as a "cluster" and give it an appropriate name.
- Check if the export has completed successfully. Once it is ready, we can now pull the data from the export query into Tableau.
- Open Tableau Server or Desktop. Click on "Connect"->"Web Data Connector".
- In the next dialog, enter the URL tableau.beckon.com
- Enter your account name and your API key. API keys can be generated in the User Management->Users section.
- Click on "Fetch Extracts" to see a list of all export queries that you have created. Select the query that you wish to have within Tableau and fetch it. Once the data transfer is complete, you can start charting within Tableau.
- Use Beckon's export API to set up exports to be completed in a recurring fashion, this will enable Tableau to always have the latest data export from Beckon without ever needing to log in to Beckon.